CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

ticker

 BabyFruit Ticker

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Number three

Lives can be taken so fast. I was informed that a friend and fellow youth that I used to take home from church almost every Wednesday was killed in a car accident. She was a sweetheart, a youth that I was hoping I could be a good influence for. When I was a youth at University Baptist Church, we had about 15-20 students. Out of those, three have passed away in the past two years. One from an accidental gun shot at a party, one from a weak immune system from leukemia, and one from a car crash (she was present when the one at the party died). It is so hard to fathom what God's intentions are. Why would he take a life so young? Obviously, in His plan there is a reason, but in my totally human mind...I get so frustrated.

In my frustration, most of it stems from knowing how little time we have here. Part of me screams inside begging to God that these young people knew Him...and that I was someone who could have helped or hurt their belief in God.

I guess my big issue is that I was the female youth leader of all three kids that have passed away. Could I have done a better job? Did anything I said help them see the glory of our Majesty? Did my example open their eyes to accept our wonderful Savior? I don't know any of these things for sure, God does. But I want to know...I want to know full well that these students are up celebrating the new life with our Creator.

When we see the God of the Old Testament full of anger and revenge on His people, it's hard to believe that Jesus came from that same creator...gentle, humble, loving, accepting, forgiving. I know God is all of these things, but contrasting that to the wrath he put upon the Nations of Israel, he doesn't seem to be the same God....or atleast until something like this happens. God gives AND He takes away. I just wish I could grasp why.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Kathy Bledsoe called us today and we were just blown away. Three. That is ridiculous and crazy. And it seems so pointless..all three times.
Jenni, you were an amazing youth leader! Looking back, there are always times and thoughts that come to mind in which we all should/could have done things a little differently..but you were exactly the amazing leader you were called to be. Those kids loved you and admired you and looked to you as a model in so many ways. You took admonishment and advice with humility to grow to be a servant leader. Such an awesome responsibility, but such joy! Shanee knew she could come to you with honesty about who she was and who she sometimes wanted to be. I wish we could have a set reassurance about her eternal security, it drives me mad wondering. But I know that she had many, many godly people around her to tell her the truth, from the youth team to her step-mom and others in the church who helped "raise" her.

I loved doing youth ministry with you. Thanks for reminding me again of how amazing it was to serve God beside you as we challenged each other to grow. Those times can never be replaced!!! Love you lots and miss you too!

Taylor said...

This was the fourth death I heard about this week in my circle of friends. Satan has really used it to cause me to fear further pain in my own life, yet we are all not promised tomorrow. I think this is why Paul said we have to RUN this race. RUN!!! We can no longer walk, flippantly sharing Christ with a lost world... we MUST RUN.

The death of an infant, child, or teenager is so out of what seems to be the "natural" order of things, that it really shakes us up when it happens. Are you going to be able to attend her memorial Friday afternoon?

Kristin said...

Jenni, you are so wonderful. Its crazy to think that not to long ago she was here. when things like this happen it almost doesn't seem real. On another note, I'm horrible and don't have your email or I do but I'm pretty comp. illiterate and i made a blog but have to invite you

Ando said...

I know that you were a good example for her. When things like this happen I always have trouble understanding God's plan and the big question...why? I am praying.

JoyiaW said...

I will be praying for her family and for everyone who knew her.