CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

ticker

 BabyFruit Ticker

Friday, January 8, 2010

I lost a tooth.

Day 4 of student teaching:

Lessons of the day

1) Have project measurements pre-marked when marking with anything other than whole inches. 4th graders in my class do not understand what a quarter of an inch is. An activity that was supposed to take 10 minutes to explain and put together took 45 minutes because the thought than one inch can be divided into four parts was over their heads. So, drop teachable moment so activity can be completed in one day.

2) Have a procedure for when students tell you, "I lost a tooth." A student raised his hand to tell me he had lost his tooth. I laughed and said, "cool."...then realized he should probably rinse out his mouth. I referred him to our teacher and she had little boxes to put them in.

3) I am going to need to be more authoritative. I got to do a book talk for my students for the book The Sea of Monsters from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. If you have been around me for more than five minutes, you know I am dramatic. Well, give me a script or a story and I am on my way. I had the kids on the edge of their seats with excitement and then they couldn't calm down. Although I love getting students excited...I need to be stern enough to get them back on track. Pretty sure my teacher had me to thank for the hyper kids at the end of the day.

4) Always act like you know what you're doing. My teacher had to take a student to the office and did not get back in time to take the students from the computer lab to the buses and cars. My teacher never got back...So, I pretended I knew what was going on and got them from the lab and to their respectable places and then prayed that I did the right thing and they all got home...my teacher returned to the room like 5 minutes later and apologized...but I guess pretending to know what's going on is good for the students.


It's been a great week...I am definitely glad for a weekend to unwind with but I am excited about next week!!

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Awww!!! I love hearing this kind of stuff!!! Yes, fractional parts of an inch is a 6th grade thing (and way fun if you ask me... so NOT if you ask my kids! They HATE fractions!) But maybe some of your GT kids got it! :)

Lauren said...

Sounds like you are on the right track... dont worry it just gets better when you have your own class room! :)